Vauxhall Motors Speed Limit Detector

A few months ago, I got pulled over for speeding on the highway. The officer told me that the speed limit was 45 mph, but I could have sworn it was 55, maybe even 65. Of course, the officer was not about to let me go back and check, and as it turned out, I think I had just missed the 45 mph speed limit sign.

Needless to say, I settled the ticket out of court, but it would have been nice to have some device on my dashboard that tells me what the speed limit is. Granted, that might condemn me on my next ticket. It would be hard to convince an officer that I didn’t know what the speed limit was when it’s glowing on my dashboard. However, if that number is less than what the officer says the speed limit is, I would be so vindicated!

That is exactly what Vauxhall Motors, a British subsidiary of General Motors, has done. This speed limit detector can take 30 pictures a second, and then analyze these pictures with image recognition software. Once it detects the speed limit on the signs, it posts the correct number on the dashboard.

The Vauxhall speed limit detector is planned to appear on the upcoming Insignia sedan, and could be available on 2010 models of United States cars.

0 comments: